Building automation engineer with Swiss Federal VET Diploma, 4-year apprenticeship
Programming is your thing. As a building automation engineer with Swiss Federal VET Diploma, you will be making buildings “intelligent” and ensuring that doors open automatically, skylights close in time when it starts to rain and blinds come down at the right moment. In doing so, you will guarantee data protection at all times and ensure compliance with safety-relevant requirements.
Mobile working will be part of your daily routine, as you will often have to meet customers or go to construction sites. You will be in contact with various internal and external stakeholder groups such as specialists from planning and installation companies, suppliers, etc.
Basic professional training takes four years and you will attend vocational school on a weekly basis. You will also benefit from seven branch courses, where you will learn and build on the practical foundations for your vocation. If you pass the qualification procedure, you will complete your studies and gain the Swiss Federal VET Diploma.
Network technology and IT security are the basis of the training. Then you can chose between two specialisations in the Burkhalter Group:
Specialisation in building automation
You will learn everything about building automation systems – from the configuration of components and interfaces and programming of the application systems to commissioning. Data security is just as important as checking functionality here.
Specialisation in communication and multimedia
This is all about the communication and multimedia systems – from setting up and expanding data networks and installing and configuring the components to troubleshooting. After commissioning devices and systems, you will ensure their functionality by means of tests.
- An interest in technology and IT
- Completion of the compulsory years of school (upper level)
- You enjoy programming in your free time and you are interested in IT, different end devices and their technologies
- You see logical connections
- Team spirit
- Good social and communication skills (contact with customers)
- You enjoy working independently
Your options for further training:
- Extra-occupational Federal Vocational Baccalaureate (BM1)
- The Federal Vocational Baccalaureate (BM2) comes after the apprenticeship: either one year full-time or two years if extra-occupational
These are your career opportunities:
- Bachelor of Science specialising in technology and architecture or IT