Electrical engineering consultant with Swiss Federal VET Diploma, 4-year apprenticeship
Without a plan there can be no installation. As an electrical engineering consultant, you let your colleagues know what electrical cables need to be laid and where by calculating, planning and preparing drawings of high- and low-voltage networks for all the installations on site.
The plan for the electrical installations is based on the architect’s blueprints, which you work with, adding information and refining the details where necessary. You plan the access routes for the electrical cables, calculate the power requirements, plan where the switches, sockets and lights will go, and draft schematics for fuse boxes. Your tasks also include creating technical documentation once the project is complete.
You work at a computer in the office, using a range of drawing programs to complete your tasks. You are the link between the customer and the electrical engineers.
You attend vocational school weekly. In every year of your apprenticeship, you will also benefit from a branch course at the cantonal centre for vocational training, where you will learn and build on the practical foundations for your vocation. Upon passing your final apprenticeship examination, you will complete your studies and gain the Swiss Federal VET Diploma.
- A passion for the world of electrical engineering
- Completion of the compulsory years of school (upper level)
- Good understanding of technical, abstract and logical concepts
- Good spatial reasoning skills
- Basic IT skills
- A careful, precise and responsible working style
- Team spirit
- Good social and communication skills (contact with customers)
- Good level of written and spoken German
Your options for further training:
- Additional diploma in electrical engineering
- Additional diploma in telematics
- Federal Professional Diploma Examination (electrical project management consultant)
- Federal Vocational Baccalaureate, professional education institution or university of applied sciences
Your career opportunities:
- Administrative officer
- Project manager
- Department head
- Branch manager or managing director