Electrical engineer with Swiss Federal VET Diploma, 4-year apprenticeship
As an electrical engineer, you route the electrical cables on building sites so that we can enjoy conveniences such as lighting, Internet and functional kitchen appliances in our homes. You install complex heating and ventilation systems and get lighting control systems up and running. You also repair faults, as well as performing maintenance and repairs on electrical installations in existing buildings.
You mainly work on building sites or for the maintenance and repair service directly at the customer’s premises. Where existing installations require upgrades or expansions, you consider the possible solutions, determine if and how they will work, and plan the necessary work so that interruptions of service are kept to a minimum. When you install new equipment, you explain to customers how it works.
You attend vocational school weekly. In every year of your apprenticeship, you will also benefit from a branch course at the cantonal centre for vocational training in electrical engineering, where you will learn and build on the practical foundations for your vocation. Upon passing your final apprenticeship examination, you will complete your studies and gain the Swiss Federal VET Diploma.
- A passion for the world of electrical engineering
- Completion of compulsory education (intermediate to upper level)
- Enthusiasm for technical subjects such as mathematics, physics and chemistry
- Manual dexterity
- A good grasp of technical concepts
- A conscientious, independent, reliable and flexible approach to working
- Team spirit
- Good health and physical fitness
- Good social and communication skills (contact with customers)
- Good knowledge of German
Your options for further training:
- Additional diploma in electrical engineering consultancy
- Federal Professional Diploma Examination and Advanced Federal Professional Diploma Examination (electrical engineering and security expert)
- Federal Vocational Baccalaureate, profes
Your career opportunities:
- Installation supervisor
- Project manager
- Department head
- Branch manager or managing director
- signal education institution or university of applied sciences